"Oh I would totally slash him!"
"brb writing that slash"
"Yaaay I have a new OTP!"
"I'm shipping him with X now"
"A new ship is born"
.... and so on so on.
Seriously - a life changing extremely powerful and personal moment, a moemnt that requires support and congratulations - and this is what is presented as support? Yay, a new fuckpuppet! Bring on the fetishisation! What does it even say about these people that the minute a gay man comes out that slashing them is their reaction?
Coming Out is a major, important, empowering and incredible moment in our lives, it means a lot. It changes lives, it can bring freedom. It's often emotional and painful and ultimately is about the person. That's person, not poseable fucktoy. A person with a life who has done something brave that could face incredible consequences - not a new toy for you to play with, not a new character for you to write. Being an out gay man means being more than being characters in your fantasies.
Thinking gay guys are hot is not the same as support. Wanting to watch and write about the mansex does not make you an ally or a supporter to gay men. And, frankly, if a major annoucnement in a gay man's life instantly leads you to jump on the fetishisation train, then, frankly, not only doesn't this look like support, but it looks a whole lot like homophobia
It's this kind of thinking that fetishisation is equal to support that caused this vile "you know you're addicted to slash if" meme to go viral
1. You start mentally pairing up random guys on the street.
2. You wish you had gay friends just so you could perve on them kissing their boyfriends.
3. You don’t remember the last time you read a heterosexual fiction.
4. You have developed a sexual fetish for handcuffs, leather and BDSM.
5. If you are a heterosexual girl, you keep trying to 'seme' or top your boyfriend, despite the fact that you don’t have the necessary parts.
6. You suddenly become interested in gay rights, thinking this will increase your opportunities for voyeuristic activities.
7. You try to get your friends into it, simply so you can talk to them about it without them getting that bored look on their face.
8. You keep lying about the number of hours you spend each day on the computer reading slash fiction, watching gay anime etc.
9. The most exciting moment of your life so far was when you discovered hentai manga(slash).
10. You celebrate turning 18 not because you can watch R movies, but because you’re old enough to watch movies with explicit gay sex scenes.
11. It’s the only aphrodisiac you need.
12. When your boyfriend tells you he’s gay and has been dating another man, you immediately ask if you can join in.
13. Your gay son wishes he had a normal, homophobic mother who didn’t ask him questions about his latest sexual exploits.
14. You have weird dreams of being a boy an kissing the same gender.
15. You're reading this and thinking of what you are also doing that has a connection to this!
16. You start pairing up people you saw in your television.
17. You tend to mentally accuse 'sexy' and 'hot' guys of being secretly lovers.
18. You start asking some of your friends if they have gay friends.
19. You suddenly had the urge to draw something perverted. Or try to.
20. You have this awesome idea of trying to pair up your 'submissive' male friend to a 'dominant' male.
And if you want to be depressed? Copy and paste No.6 on that list into google and see how many hits you get back - how far this has spread.
Ugh, humanity, yet again I despair